This healthy buffalo chicken salad is super easy and unbelievably delicious. If you’re a buffalo chicken fan, you’re going to be absolutely obsessed with this combination of classic chicken salad and spicy buffalo sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Why you’ll love this one
This is one of my favorite easy chicken salad recipes. It reminds me of buffalo chicken dip, but in chicken salad form!
- It’s SO simple. You can make it even faster by grabbing a rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store.
- It’s absolutely delicious and pretty foolproof. Even if you eyeball the ingredients, it will still come out amazing.
- This easy recipe is great for meal prep! You can make a batch or two of this at the beginning of the week for an easy protein to have with sandwiches, salads, wraps, or for snack plates. It’s a great easy-to-grab protein for a healthy meal.
Let’s get into what you need next.
Cooked and shredded chicken: You can use any cooking method you prefer for this one. My two favorite ways are to prep my chicken in the air fryer, or buy pre-cooked chicken like rotisserie chicken. You can also use leftover chicken if you have some laying around!
Celery and green onion: Celery and green onion add the perfect amount of veggie flavor and crunch. You could also sub in red onion or sweet onion.
Buffalo sauce: My favorite buffalo sauce is Primal Kitchen buffalo sauce, hands down. It’s a tangy buffalo sauce that’s flavorful, creamy, and you can build the heat to what you like. I also like the Frank’s RedHot Buffalo sauce. You can use regular hot sauce too, but it will have a bit of a different flavor.
Plain Greek yogurt: This recipe replaces half the amount of mayonnaise with Greek yogurt, and you’ll barely notice! It adds protein, creaminess and a little bit of tang. Make sure it’s plain, we don’t want vanilla-flavored chicken salad!
Mayonnaise: Use whatever mayo you prefer. Sir Kensington’s is my favorite.
Garlic powder: This recipe calls for just a little bit of garlic powder, but you can add in any other spices that you enjoy too like onion powder or even everything but the bagel seasoning.
- Add all of your ingredients to a large bowl.
- Combine ingredients well. Taste test to see if you want to add any additional buffalo sauce depending on your preferred spice level, salt or black pepper.
- Serve as a sandwich with your favorite bread, in a wrap, or with crackers and fresh veggies like cucumbers and red bell peppers (adult lunchable style!).
How to store
Store this buffalo chicken salad in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
How to serve
- In between two slices of your favorite bread as a sandwich for a quick meal.
- Use romaine lettuce hearts to serve in lettuce wraps or as lettuce cups.
- Serve in a tortilla with cheese and lettuce for an easy wrap.
- Top a salad with this buffalo chicken and drizzle with ranch dressing.
- Serve with crackers, sliced bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots and cherry tomatoes for an easy lunch plate.
- Add blue cheese crumbles or shredded sharp cheddar to the chicken salad.
- Add more crunchy veggies like diced bell pepper.
- Use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt if you don’t have any on hand.
- Add fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley.
- If you want to omit the mayo altogether, use a 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt instead of 1/4 cup.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to add some lemony tang.
- For a buffalo ranch chicken salad, add a tablespoon or two of ranch seasoning powder.
- If you’re a blue cheese fan, add two tablespoons of blue cheese dressing
More easy lunch ideas:
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 1 lb cooked chicken shredded, rotisserie chicken works great
- 1/3 cup scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup celery diced small
- 3-4 tbsp buffalo sauce I prefer Primal Kitchen buffalo sauce. Add as much as you like to taste.
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Add all of your ingredients to a bowl.
- Combine ingredients well. Taste test to see if you want to add any additional buffalo sauce, salt or pepper.
- Serve in between two slices of bread as a sandwich, in a wrap, or with crackers and veggies. Add a final drizzle of hot sauce to finish.