Avocado toast has taken over the breakfast world, and it’s not hard to see why. This simple, delicious breakfast is packed with healthy fats, fiber, and vitamins. It’s the perfect way to start your day with a nutritious breakfast or enjoy as part of a light lunch.
This flavorful avocado toast with tomato takes things up a notch with a thick tomato slice on top of easy avocado mash.
Why You’ll Love it
Avocado toast is one of those breakfasts that’s just always good. This avocado toast with tomato just takes things to the next level! The combination of creamy avocado and tangy tomato creates a flavor combination that’s super satisfying (a super important part of staying full!).
As a Registered Dietitian, avocado toast is one of my favorites on the nutrition front too! Avocado is packed with healthy fats and fiber and linked with health benefits. I love using whole grain toast for a great high fiber carb full of vitamins and minerals.
When you add tomato, you’re adding a great source of folate, vitamin C, potassium and antioxidants.
It’s also a super easy recipe to make- there’s very little effort required! This recipe requires some basic ingredients and a few simple steps. It’s a great option for busy mornings when you don’t have a lot of time to prepare breakfast.
There are so many great variations to avocado toast (keep scrolling for lots of ideas!). You can top with feta cheese, fresh herbs, or even drizzle some balsamic glaze or hot sauce.
What you’ll need
All you need for this easy avocado tomato toast is two slices of bread, two slices of tomato, ripe avocado, and lemon juice.
Avocado: Of course we need avocado for avocado toast! Pro tip: keep these pre-packaged containers of diced avocado or chunky avocado minis on hand for when you don’t have a ripe avocado! They’re absolutely wonderful when you’re in a pinch, and have a longer shelf life than temperamental avocados.
Whole grain toast: The Dave’s Killer Bread is always my number one favorite whole grain bread (flavor and nutrition-wise!), but you can absolutely use whatever bread you like best.
Tomato: We’re using thick tomato slices here, but sweet cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes cut in half would also work perfectly.
Lemon: It may sound super basic, but adding a squeeze of lemon juice is what takes your avocado toast to the next level! Citrusy lemon adds a bright, tangy flavor that complements the richness of the avocado and makes the best avocado toast.
Balsamic glaze (optional): This one’s optional, but I’m including it in the ingredients list because it’s an incredible addition if you have it on hand. This one is my favorite. You can also just drizzle a little bit of your favorite balsamic vinegar on top.
How to make it
- Toast your bread until it’s golden brown.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh and mash a third of an avocado on a cutting board, and then squeeze a lemon wedge over the top.
3. Spread your avocado mash over the whole grain toast. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper to taste.
4. Top your avocado toast with a thick slice of fresh tomato. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy! Optional: Drizzle with balsamic glaze to finish.
10 Avocado Toast Variations
- Add a fried egg or poached egg on top of your toast for a protein-packed, balanced breakfast.
- Add smoked salmon to your avocado toast with a sprinkle of capers for a balanced breakfast that feels like you’re out to a fancy brunch!
- Add a layer of hummus to bump up the fiber and filling-factor even more. Top with everything but the bagel seasoning!
- Top with feta cheese to add a kick of salty, tangy flavor.
- Add salsa, swap the lemon juice for lime juice and add fresh cilantro for a different zesty flavor.
- Drizzle a little sriracha or add red pepper flakes on top of your avocado toast for a spicy kick of flavor.
- Spread a layer of pesto on top of your avocado toast.
- Add fresh herbs like fresh basil leaves or parsley.
- Use your favorite bread, like sourdough bread for example.
- Top with green onions for a sharp and flavorful onion addition.
More Toast Recipes You’ll Love:
Avocado Toast with Tomato
- 2 slices whole grain toast
- 1/3 avocado
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 tsp balsamic glaze
- Toast your bread until it's golden brown.
- Mash a third of an avocado on a cutting board, and then squeeze a lemon wedge over the top.
- Spread your avocado mash over the whole grain toast. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top your avocado toast with a thick slice of fresh tomato. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy! Optional: Drizzle with balsamic glaze to finish.