This absolutely delicious and simple avocado toast with honey recipe is the perfect blend of sweet and savory to get you feeling ready for the day.
Warning- this is definitely going to be your new favorite way to make avocado toast!
Why You’ll Love It:
As a Registered Dietitian, I’m a firm believer in starting your day off with a healthy, satisfying breakfast. Avocado toast is packed with healthy fats and fiber to help fuel your morning and give you steady energy.
It’s one of those combinations that you might never think of but works so perfectly together! Creamy avocado, plus savory and salty flavors. Honestly, is there anything better? I could eat this one every single day.
Plus, it’s super simple. One of the best parts about avocado toast in general is that it’s one of those easy recipes that is so satisfying every time.
You only need a few quick ingredients to upgrade your classic avocado toast.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Mashed or sliced avocado: I prefer avocado mash over slices because I feel like it’s easier and sticks to the toast better, but either works.
- Lemon juice: A squeeze of fresh lemon in your avocado makes the perfect avocado mash!
- Honey: Whatever kind you like works here! If you want something with a little bit of spice, try hot honey.
- Red pepper flakes: This ingredient is optional if you prefer to keep the heat out, but it really rounds out the flavors with a little bit of kick.
- Whole grain or whole wheat bread: My recommendation is Dave’s Killer Bread whole grain bread for avocado toast. It’s hearty, sturdy enough for toppings, and really delicious. Bonus- it’s also got a great nutrition profile. If you’re not a huge whole grain fan, sourdough bread is delish too.
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Avocado Toast with Honey
First, choose a ripe avocado! Okay, I know this is waaaay easier said than done. When you choose an avocado, one of the best tips is that should have a little bit of “give” when you squeeze it. It shouldn’t feel mushy or rock hard. Ripe avocados tend to be darker green to almost black with a bumpy texture.
Next, make your avocado mash. I like to do this right on a cutting board or plate. After you’ve cut open your avocado, mash it with a fork until it’s chunky like guacamole. Squeeze about a teaspoon of lemon juice over the top and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
Toast your bread. Your level of “toasted” is totally up to you here. Personally, I find 2 minutes in the toaster oven to be perfect for a nice golden brown toast, but if you prefer it darker or lighter, that’s your call!
Top your two pieces of toast with mashed avocado. Spread your avocado mash across both slices of toast evenly.
Drizzle honey on each slice (the best part)!
Sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Use as many or as little as you prefer here.
Other Avocado Toast Topping Ideas:
Some other ideas to top each slice of toast with:
- Feta cheese
- Sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- Maple syrup
- Hot sauce
- Olive Oil drizzle
- Flaky salt
Avocado Toast with Honey Healthy Meal Ideas
In my opinion, avocado toast is most satisfying when it’s paired with some protein. Here are some of my favorite avocado toast additions.
- Top with a fried egg and feta cheese
- Serve on the side of scrambled eggs or some egg bites
- Have a vanilla Greek yogurt on the side
- Add smoked salmon and micro greens
- Top with shredded rotisserie chicken
Or – this avo toast works perfectly by itself as a balanced snack!
Other Breakfast Recipes to Check Out:
Avocado Toast with Honey
- 2 slices whole grain bread toasted
- 1/3 avocado chunks
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- On a cutting board or plate, mash avocado with a fork until it's chunky. Squeeze about a teaspoon of lemon juice over the top and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Toast your bread for 2 minutes or until it's golden brown.
- Top your toast with mashed avocado. Spread your avocado mash across both slices of toast evenly.
- Drizzle each slice with honey.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes to taste.