If you’re looking to change up your standard Greek yogurt bowls, you’ve gotta give cottage cheese and fruit a try. This balanced breakfast is high protein, filling and unbelievably quick to throw together.
Why You’ll Love Cottage Cheese with Fruit Bowls
Cottage cheese is one of those super sneaky, super healthy foods. In fact, one 5.3 ounce container of my favorite cottage cheese packs a super impressive 19g of protein (yeah, more than Greek yogurt!).
Protein is an absolutely essential part of any balanced breakfast. Without it, you’re gonna be hungry!
This recipe only calls for four ingredients: cottage cheese, granola, berries, and almonds. There’s no cooking involved and it truly takes less than 2 minutes to throw together.
Unlike a lot of yogurts, cottage cheese has absolutely no added sugars. Now, I’m not afraid of added sugars (the granola in this recipe has a little!). But, cottage cheese is a zero sugar base, which means you get to decide how much and what kind of sweet extras to add to it.
If you prefer a lower sugar breakfast or you need to be mindful of sugar for any reason, cottage cheese is a great choice.
Easy to Customize
Use your favorite fruit, swap for your most loved granola, add the nuts you like. Drizzle some peanut butter or honey, or swirl in some jam. The possibilities are endless!
What You’ll Need
- Cottage cheese: Personally, I prefer the small curd cottage cheese, but you can use any kind that you like.
- Granola: This one is my favorite because it’s absolutely delicious with minimal added sugars compared to a lot of other granola brands.
- Berries: Berries add sweetness, fiber and antioxidants to these breakfast bowls. Use any that you enjoy!
- Shaved almonds: Add some fiber and healthy fats with a sprinkle of shaved almonds, or any other nut that you like.
Blend the Cottage Cheese
If the texture of cottage cheese isn’t for you, try blending it! Just throw it into any blender and blend for 20-30 seconds until smooth.
Swap the Cottage Cheese for Greek Yogurt
Make these Greek yogurt and granola bowls instead!
Make it Savory
Top with sliced avocado, pistachios and everything and the bagel seasoning. Serve with toast for dipping!
What’s the Best Fruit with Cottage Cheese?
You can add just about any fruit to cottage cheese, but here are some of my favorites:
- Pineapple: Add shaved coconut and almonds
- Strawberries: Add a drizzle of honey
- Peaches: Add cinnamon and brown sugar
- Raspberries: Add chocolate granola
- Sliced bananas: Add walnuts and drizzled peanut butter
Love this simple recipe? Make sure to give it a 5 star review below, and tag me on Instagram @the.balanced.nutritionist!
- 3/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup berries
- 1/4 cup granola
- 1/4 cup almonds shaved
- Fill your bowl with cottage cheese.
- Top with toppings and enjoy!