This Philly cheesesteak casserole recipe is super simple, healthy, and absolutely delicious. Make sure to bookmark this one, because your whole family is going to love this easy dinner idea!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Why you’ll love it
This one-pan, easy Philly cheesesteak casserole dish is inspired by the traditional Philly cheesesteak sandwich. If you’ve never had one, it’s a classic sandwich filled with thinly sliced steak and melted cheese made in long subs or hoagie rolls.
If you love that classic steak and melty cheese flavor combo (who doesn’t?!), you’ll love this easy dish.
This dish packs all the best flavors of a cheesesteak sandwich, but is also full of veggies from sautéed peppers and onion. Plus, it’s super low effort. You only need a few simple ingredients, making it a great choice for busy weeknights when you need something fast and yummy.
Let’s get into how to make it!
Shaved steak, thin steak slices, or lean ground beef: You can use whatever type of beef that you like here, as long as it’s in bite sized pieces. You can also use ground turkey, or ground chicken.
Provolone cheese: Provolone cheese is typically used for Philly cheesesteak sandwiches, but you can also use American cheese, mozzarella cheese, or even cheddar.
Bell peppers: This dish uses three bell peppers, so there’s lots of nutrient-rich veggies and fiber. I like to use orange, yellow and red bell pepper. You can use green bell peppers if you prefer. They all work! Green peppers are a little less sweet, so it just depends on your preference.
Onion: I like to use a yellow onion for this dish but you can use whatever you have on hand. White onion, sweet onion, or even red onion can be swapped in. If you don’t have fresh onion, swap in a half teaspoon of onion powder.
Garlic: Garlic is essential here, so if you don’t have fresh garlic, use a teaspoon of garlic powder.
Cream cheese: Cream cheese is an essential piece of adding creaminess to the entire dish. You could also use sour cream if you didn’t have cream cheese on hand, but it will be slightly tangier.
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In an oven-safe large skillet or sauce pan, heat 1-2 tsp of oil on medium-high heat. Add shaved steak and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the shaved steak is mostly browned, add peppers, onions and minced garlic to the pan. Turn down to medium heat and continue cooking for 5-6 minutes until veggies are soft.
- Add cream cheese in combine well with sauteéd peppers and meat mixture to create a creamy sauce.
- Add slices of provolone cheese to the top of the casserole.
- Transfer your skillet to the oven for 5-10 minutes until the cheese melts and is bubbly and golden brown. (If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, transfer to a baking dish before this step, or simply cover the pan with a lid to melt the cheese).
To store leftovers: place in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat leftover casserole in the microwave in 30 second intervals until hot. This delicious dinner is just as good the next day!
How to Serve your Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Serve with rice, a baked potato, tater tots, french fries, or air-fried potato wedges for a complete, balanced meal.
- Serve in a roll or tortilla. I love serving in these high fiber tortillas.
- Top with banana peppers.
- Swap provolone cheese for mozzarella, pepper jack, or cheddar cheese.
More One-Pan Dishes:
Easy Healthy Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- 3 bell peppers sliced
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb shaved steak ground beef or ground turkey will also work
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 1 pinch salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.In a large skillet or sauce pan, heat 1-2 tsp of oil on medium heat. Add shaved steak and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the shaved steak is mostly browned, add peppers, onions and minced garlic to the pan. Continue cooking for 5-6 minutes until veggies are soft.
- Add cream cheese in combine well with meat and veggies. Taste and add additional salt and pepper to taste if needed. Top with provolone cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. (If you don’t have an oven safe dish, transfer to a casserole dish before this step, or simply cover the pan with a lid to melt the cheese). Serve as is, with rice or potatoes, or in a wrap or roll!