This super simple inside out egg roll recipe (aka “egg roll in a bowl”) is the go-to busy weeknight dinner you need in your rotation. It’s easy, it’s healthy and it’s an absolute crowd pleaser that your family will love.
Why You’ll Love it
It’s a Quick and Easy One Pan Meal
One of my number one requirements for meals is that they have to be simple. I’m a huge fan of dishes that use shortcuts (like bagged coleslaw mix and shredded carrots) because it’s just a more realistic way to make healthy eating attainable.
This meal comes together in less than 20 minutes from start to finish. That means it’s just as quick as heading through your local drive through.
It’s Balanced and Nutritious
This inside out egg roll is absolutely packed with veggies, protein and carbs. There are so many “egg roll in a bowl” recipes that don’t call for any carbs.
This recipe calls for cauliflower rice and regular rice so that it has all of the nutrients you need to feel fuller and more satisfied. Reminder- there’s nothing wrong with eating carbs :). If you’re like me and you need carbs to feel satisfied, this recipe is the one for you!
While this is certainly not authentic Asian cuisine, you’ll love it if you’re an egg roll lover. It includes all of the flavors that you’ll find there!
Ingredients You Need
- Ground pork (you can also use ground turkey, beef, or chicken)
- Coleslaw Mix and Shredded Carrots (I use the pre-shredded coleslaw and carrots )
- Prepared rice (I know this isn’t for everyone, but I use frozen- my favorite is from Trader Joe’s)
- Cauliflower rice (frozen or fresh)
- Sweet onion and Scallions (green onions)
- Garlic and Ginger
- Rice vinegar
- Sesame oil (if you don’t have any, you can swap for any oil but it adds lots of flavor!)
- Soy sauce or coconut aminos
How to Make an Inside Out Egg Roll
1. Heat sesame oil on medium heat and sauté onions, garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes until onions are starting to become translucent. Add ground pork and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked completely through.
2. Add coleslaw mix, carrots, defrosted cauliflower rice, and cooked rice. Combine well and cook for 2-3 minutes until coleslaw mix begins to soften.
3. Next, add rice wine vinegar and soy sauce ( or coconut aminos). Combine well and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
4. Finally, add sliced green onion (both green and white piece). Combine well and continue cooking for and additional 2-3 minutes.
Does Egg Roll in a Bowl Reheat Well?
Yes, this is a great re-heatable meal! When you make this, you can even intentionally make extra so that you have lunches all week! Just keep in a well-sealed container and use within 4 days. If it needs a little “freshening up”, just add a little bit of fresh soy sauce.
Can You Freeze Egg Roll in a Bowl?
Yes! Just freeze portions in a well-sealed freezer container and use within 2 months for best quality. This is one of my favorite meals to prep ahead of time to have on hand.
What to Serve with Egg Roll in a Bowl
This recipe is perfect as is because we’ve added some regular rice on top of allllll the delish veggies. You can also serve with noodles instead of rice. Without a bit of a carb source, I find that it’s just not filling enough.
Variation and Substitution ideas
- Swap your meat. Use ground beef, ground chicken or ground turkey instead of ground pork. I’ve made it with all of them, and it’s absolutely delicious each time.
- Make a vegetarian egg roll in a bowl by using plant-based crumbles, edamame or lentils instead of meat.
- Add chopped broccoli or bell peppers
- Top with Sriracha or a drizzle of easy Sriracha mayo (whisk mayo, sriracha and lemon juice together)
- Top with sesame seeds
- Make it lower-carb if you choose! Just omit the rice. But I pinky promise, the small amount of rice that we add in this recipe makes all the difference.
- Top with an egg for a savory fried rice-esque addition.
- Serve with noodles instead of rice
More Dinners You’ll Love
Loved this recipe? Make sure to give it a 5-star rating below and tag me on Instagram @the.balanced.nutritionist!
Inside Out Egg Roll
- 1 lb ground pork or ground beef, chicken, or turkey
- 14 oz Coleslaw mix bagged
- 1.5 cup Shredded carrots pre-prepared is fine!
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 large green onions sliced
- 1 cup white rice prepared (I like frozen microwaved for convenience!)
- 2 cups cauliflower rice cooked or defrosted
- Heat sesame oil on medium heat and sauté onions, garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes until onions are starting to become translucent. Add ground pork and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked completely through.
- Add coleslaw mix, carrots, defrosted cauliflower rice, and cooked rice. Combine well and cook for 2-3 minutes until coleslaw mix begins to soften.
- Next, add rice wine vinegar and soy sauce ( or coconut aminos). Combine well and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, add sliced green onion (both green and white piece). Combine well and continue cooking for and additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve as is or drizzle with sriracha and top with fresh green onion and sesame seeds!