This simple green smoothie recipe is inspired by the popular (for good reason!) Tropical Smoothie Cafe Detox Island Green smoothie.
If you’re a fan, you’re in luck because this copycat recipe tastes just like it. And even if you’re just looking for a delish green smoothie recipe with bright flavors, you’re in the right place.
It’s perfectly sweet, nutrient-packed, and bonus: way cheaper to make at home.
Why You’ll Love This One
- It’s an easy way to get in your daily greens!
- It’s high fiber, filling and packed with healthy ingredients.
- It’s a homemade version of the popular Detox Island Green Smoothie at Tropical Smoothie Cafe so you can save some money (and don’t need to leave your house).
- It works with both fresh or frozen ingredients- so you can use what you have on hand.
Island Green Smoothie Recipe Ingredients
Frozen fruit or fresh fruit: This smoothie calls for mango, pineapple and banana. The fruits add just the right amount of sweetness so that you don’t need to add any added grams of sugar. If possible, try to grab a nice ripe banana because they’re sweeter!
Dark leafy greens: Kale and spinach add nutrients like vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium and filling fiber. You can use fresh if you have it, or grab bags of frozen!
Ginger: Ginger adds touch of zesty, citrusy flavor to this tropical-inspired smoothie. You can use fresh ginger here, or frozen if you have some.
Coconut water: This is a tropical flavor smoothie, after all, so coconut water pairs perfectly. You can also swap for coconut milk if you want something creamier!
- Add all of your ingredients to high power blender and blend for 45 seconds. That’s it!
Is the Detox Island Green Smoothie Good for you?
The short answer, yes!
Does this green detox smoothie really have magic “detoxing” properties? Unfortunately, no. But don’t worry! It’s still packed with nutritious ingredients and healthful nutrients like antioxidants, fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, and folate that support your best health.
Even though its name is a little deceiving, it’s a great way to get more nutrients into your day. It’s no wonder it’s one of their most popular menu items!
Plus, the fruit juices from the tropical fruits offer enough sweetness that you can keep this smoothie added sugar-free.
As a Registered Dietitian, here’s how I recommend working this green smoothie into your day:
- As a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack.
- Paired on the side with your protein for breakfast like scrambled eggs, a Greek yogurt, or some chicken sausages. While this smoothie is super nutritious, it needs to be paired with a bit more protein to make up a meal that will keep you full.
Recipe Tips & Variations
- Make it a balanced morning smoothie by adding a protein and fat source to the blender (it’s got veg and carb covered!). Try whey or plant-based protein powder, Greek yogurt, or cottage cheese. For fat, a spoonful of almond butter, peanut butter or some avocado slices would be perfect.
- Add more dietary fiber (and healthy fats!) by adding a tablespoon or two of chia seeds, flax seeds or hemp seeds.
- Use coconut milk, regular milk, almond milk, or oat milk for a creamier smoothie.
- Use pineapple juice if you don’t have any fresh pineapple or frozen on hand.
- Add a sweetener like honey or if it’s not sweet enough for you.
- Turn it into a smoothie bowl by cutting down the liquid to 1/2 cup and topping with more fresh fruit, granola and coconut flakes.
The next time you’re in the mood to roll through the Tropical Smoothie Cafe drive through, give this simple green smoothie recipe a try instead.
More You’ll Love:
Tropical Smoothie Detox Island Green Smoothie (Copycat Recipe)
- 1 Blender
- 1/2 cup banana sliced, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup mango chunks, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup spinach fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup kale fresh or frozen
- 1 inch ginger peeled
- 1 cup coconut water
Optional to Make a Balanced Meal
- 1 serving protein powder
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend for 45 seconds until smooth.
- If using all fresh ingredients, the consistency will be thinner. If using all frozen ingredients, the consistency will be thicker and slushier.
- If the smoothie is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of liquid at a time and continue to blend until you reach your desired consistency.